Monday, November 11, 2013

Happy Veterans Day!


As a veteran myself, I understand the sacrifices of military service. However, I was lucky to not have suffered like the men at Valley Forge. I was never in a battle like Gettysburg. Fortunately, I did not have to make a beach landing like those who stormed Omaha Beach. I was never required to trudge through the jungles of Vietnam. 

Thank you to the men and women who suffered so much more for our liberties and freedoms. Thank you for your sacrifices. Thank you for your service. Thank you for defending the Constitution from all enemies foreign and domestic. Thank you.  



2 comments:

  1. I always feel a bit embarrassed and awkward when I am thanked for my service. I think this explains it well. I didn't sacrifice anything other than convenience and family time during my enlistment. As an Army wife I had to suffer through the worries of Paul's deployment. But even that wasn't as bad for me as it was for others.

    When I think about what it must've been like to be on the Enterprise during WWII (my grandpa), or in Vietnam, or Korea, or (the list could go on and on)... my heart sinks. No one should have to experience that. No one should have to come home to family members who just don't understand... and feel fortunate to have made it home at all. And always wonder why; why did they make it out but others weren't as fortunate? Why them?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I understand how you feel. Many of us today, who serve do not know what war is really like. Our sufferings are not as great for our service to our country. But it is a wonderful thing for our countrymen to say. While I was serving, I had a family approach me once and thank me for my service. As I was thanking them for their support I noticed a gentleman next to me who was crying from the moment he just witnessed. I soon found out that he was a Vietnam veteran. Unfortunately for veterans like him, they did not receive such warm welcomes and thank yous from our citizens. They were attacked for their service and called "baby killers." I realized then how wonderful it is to be told thank you for our service, even if we do not go through the real horrors of war for this nation.

    ReplyDelete