Thursday, January 31, 2013

Homeland Security Victim Training




                Have you wondered what to do if someone was to come into your place of work with a firearm and started shooting. Well, most likely your place of employment is a “gun-free zone” and there is little to no security on hand to protect you. Don’t worry; Homeland Security has released an instructional video on what to do if there is an active shooter. 
 
  
                According to the instructional video you many options, run away, hide under a desk, call 911 if it is safe and hope that you don’t get shot. “If you are caught out in the open and cannot conceal yourself or take cover, you might consider trying to overpower the shooter with whatever means are available,” the narrator says. You might ask yourself, “What could I possibly do to defend myself?” You can confront the active shooter with a pair of scissors. Yes scissors. 



Why scissors, a stapler, or a letter opener? Well because the government is attempting to outlaw firearms for law-abiding citizens. As stricter gun laws and background checks go into effect, instructional videos like these will become unnecessary. Soon all people living within the United States will be completely disarmed of deadly firearms.
However, until then, hide under your desks, grab your scissors, call 911, and wait for the professional law enforcement agents to arrive. Due to budget cuts however, these agents might take 30 minutes or more to get to your rescue. So, make sure to grab a bottle of water, have some snacks on hand, and snag a magazine on your way to your hiding spot.
I am not a big fan of this plan. There has to be a better option than to run or hide and hope that we do not become a victim of an active shooter. I would rather not have to engage in violence, but I would rather stand and fight than run away. I would rather defend my life and the lives of my fellow co-workers than to hide in fear. I would rather live to spend another day with my family than be a victim. That’s  why I would rather carry a firearm myself to defend my life and the life of others. Not all of us need to be a policeman to protect and serve our fellow countrymen.

No comments:

Post a Comment